Our Kids Broke the TV and You Won't Believe What Happened...

A few weeks ago on a random Tuesday night right before bath time, also referred to as "the witching hour" because everyone is losing their (we'll say) minds, Hank (the puppy) had to go potty.  The kids appeared to be playing together nicely so I took Hank outside and as I walked back into the laundry room I glanced over at Silas playing drums on the couch.  Things seemed to be under control so I decided to get Hank some more food and water before tackling bath time.

However, as I was filling Hank's water bowl I heard Taegan say "Silas hit the TV" and of coarse before I could spin around...HE DID and with one bang of the drum stick the picture went out and that was the end of our 51 inch flat screen, smart television.



When your kids break something you go through several emotional stages...

1. SHOCK...did this really just happen?! OMG.

2. Anger.  Deep breath, count to 10, count to 10 again.  Seriously, kids you broke the TV...the TV!!!  

3. Stress.  We can't afford a new TV right now.  That TV was perfectly fine. 

4. Guilt.  I shouldn't have left them in their alone, I knew Silas had those drum sticks.  I should have known something bad was going to happen. 

5. Acceptance. Well it could have been worse.  We can do without a TV for a while. 

Of coarse we had to punish them.  This was their first real big punishment, and they were equally in the wrong.  So that night we told them they weren't allowed to play their Ipads, watch any TV, or movies for a week.

After they went to bed that night Brandon loaded the TV in the back of his truck to take by the dump the next morning on his way to work, we wanted the shock factor for them the next morning when they woke up and it was GONE...and it worked!

The next morning Silas was laying in bed with me and said "I'm going to go see if the TV is still broke" to which I replied "it's gone, Daddy took it to the dump" of coarse he didn't believe me and had to go see for himself.  I could hear the gasps from the other room when he rounded the corner and said "oh my goshh!!!"  When Taegan woke up and looked downstairs from the balcony she immediately started crying and shushed Silas whenever he tried to talk about the broken TV because she didn't even want to "hear about that."

The first few days were rough.  There were more than a few tears as their evening routine had been completely disrupted.  During the day I'd turn the radio on so I'd at least have some background noise and at night we'd read extra books together or play.

It's been about two weeks now and they don't really ask for their Ipads or to watch TV (in our room) at all, even though they aren't "grounded" anymore.  They have been watching TV for about 30 minutes at night before bed but that's it and they've been playing together! Playing together nicely.  It's pretty amazing!

One evening last week Brandon and I sat and stared at each other in disbelief while they giggled and played upstairs for over an hour.  Don't get me wrong it's not all rainbows and butterflies around here they still have their fair share of spats but they are using their imaginations and playing independently more than EVER.  It's incredible.  Before Taegan would beg me to play with her or Silas would ask Brandon to go to his room with him but now they are happy with each other.  They don't act bored either, it's like having the electronics was actually making them bored.  When you take away the electronics it forces them to think, and that's a good thing.   

We are in no hurry to buy a new TV, although the huge empty spot in the entertainment center looks pretty awkward.  Living on a farm we spend a lot of time outside but now the quality of our time together inside has drastically improved.

I'm NOT telling you to go hit your TV with a drum stick but maybe just unplug a cord in the back and call it "broke" for a couple weeks and see what happens.  You might just thank me!  



Comments

Popular Posts