To My Sister

To My Sister,

I can't hardly believe, you're grown up... a woman, and now you are growing a new life, inside of you.  You are about to become a Mom.  You will be someone's Mom.    It seems like I was just begging you to play babies with me and bargaining that I'd play store with you, fighting with you over clothes, or driving us to high school in my silver pick up truck jamming to some crazy rap song.  I am so grateful to have met my best friend when I was just three years old.  We have celebrated and mourned together over the last 24 years, and remained by each others side through it all.  I am so excited to become an Aunt and even more happy to get to witness you begin this next chapter in your life as a Mom.

This journey into motherhood is sacred...treasure this time.

It is only natural to want to rush it, the excitement of holding the baby growing inside of you, at times it is more than you can stand.  Don't rush it.  Once it's gone, it's gone and your life is forever changed.  Right this minute your baby is listening to your heartbeat, resting safe inside of you, enjoy it.  You are sustaining life. God is perfectly knitting together your baby inside of you.  Even after having two children that thought still amazes me.

It is going to get uncomfortable, you will be tired, and feel like a huge whale...I get it.  You feel like you could laugh and cry at the same time.  Your back will hurt.  Your feet will hurt...your feet will swell.

Then the fear of the actual birth will come.  It is scary.  Birth is intense.  But you can do it! Because once you hear your baby cry and hold them in your arms for the first time, the world will stop spinning and you will know, even though you won't want to, you'd do it all over again.

Being a Mom is amazing.  It is a love your heart has never felt before.  You have such a kind, selfless soul, you will be a wonderful Mom.  You'll have this tiny baby and you'll get to watch them grow up before your eyes.  And it will be bittersweet.  When the exhaustion, worry, and helplessness engulf you, remember...this to shall pass, and when it does you will inevitably miss it, because motherhood is crazy like that.  When your baby learns something new and hits each milestone your heart will ache and burst with pride all at the same time.

It will be hard.  You will cry.  Then right at the perfect moment God will give you a little treasure to help you make it...a first smile, tiny arms reaching for YOU for the first time, a peaceful nights sleep, the word "Mama," or a sloppy wet kiss.  This journey is not always easy but it is always worth it.

Sometimes when I think of you I still think of a little brown headed girl with ringlet curls dragging around a tattered 'blankie." You have grown into a beautiful women, a wife.  I am proud of you.  Soon you will join a special group of women known as mothers.

Put your feet up when you can, rest, reflect, and spend quality time with Justin.  Don't rush this precious time.  Perfection can't be rushed.


Love,

Your Big Sister







Comments

Popular Posts