China Cabinet Transformation

I have a new addiction hobby...refinishing furniture!  I am in love with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I just finished this piece and I am so excited about how it turned out. 

This was my in-laws old china cabinet and when they moved in their new house they decided not to keep it so after a little time on Pinterest I was inspired to give chalk paint a try.  I love being able to feed my creative hunger and this definitely did the trick. 

After removing all the hardware, doors, and the glass from of the doors I painted everything (except the backing of the top piece) with two coats of Annie Sloan Arles, the backing of the top piece got one coat of Annie Sloan Coco.  Then I gave the bottom a coat of Clear Wax and a coat of Dark Wax...which is where I messed up.  I applied the dark wax too heavy (for my taste) and hadn't applied the clear wax heavy enough to be able to remove some of it with an additional clear wax buffing so...I ended up repainting the bottom piece.  After all I wanted to be happy with the finished product so I didn't mind spending the time to repaint it.  I ended up giving everything a good coat of clear wax and then I broke down and bought "one of those expensive brushes, I swore wasn't necessary" to apply the dark wax to corners and edges to give it that "old" look.  While I still say it isn't necessary it helped a lot and I was able to easily achieve the look I was going for. 

I had originally planned on buying new hardware but I decided to paint the old hardware (minus the embellishments) with the Annie Sloan Coco and distress it a little and it turned out perfect and I didn't have to spend any money on new hardware!

The last step was putting chicken wire in the two top doors that originally had glass in them (Brandon did this part for me).  I decided not to put the middle false door back in because I liked the way it looked open.  

The finished product turned out even better than I imagined and I really enjoyed doing it!  I am scanning my house now for my next piece.  Actually the next piece I'm going to do is a dresser for my Mother-In-Law, don't worry I'll be sure to post before and after pictures when it's complete. 









Comments

Popular Posts