Our Christmas Present to Each Other

Brandon and I decided to do something a little different for each other for Christmas this year.  We have never really been one of those couple who goes all out with extravagant gifts for each other, not that there is anything wrong with that, but ever since we got married and got a joint checking account it just seemed a little silly.  I love surprises and surprising other people though so when I saw this idea on Pinterest, I knew it would be perfect.  I tweaked it a little (not to be confused with twerking), so it would be his gift to me and my gift to him.




I bought the envelopes at Walmart, two packs of 6 for .75 cents each (the only part that cost me anything).  Then I wrote a month on each envelope and with some scrapbooking paper I had (because who has time to scrapbook with two kids...not this Mama) I made cute little cards for each envelope.  Then I divided them in half alternating months, I was strategic about this because I wanted to end up with my birthday month (April).  Brandon took six envelopes and I took six envelopes on each card we wrote two date choices (because I was afraid if we only did one we would pick the same ones as the other person).  The dates didn't have to be expensive or elaborate, some of them could have even been free like go to Peaks of Otter on a hike together and then have a picnic.  The idea is for them to be something we will actually do and enjoy doing together.

The best part is it only cost me $1.50!  If I had thought of this in the Spring then maybe we could have included gift cards or money to make the dates paid for but I didn't decide to do this until last month.

On the first of each month the opposite person that filled out the card for that month gets to open the envelope and choose which date they want to do for that month, then we will schedule that date.  When you have two children you can't be spontaneous so if it doesn't go on the calendar it generally doesn't happen.  I am really excited about this Christmas present!  Brandon and I rarely go on dates anymore, even before Silas was born it just wasn't something we made time for, this will hopefully ensure we go on one date a month for the entire year and it won't cost us any extra at Christmas time.

I am planning to write a post on the blog each month about what our card said and what we did on our date!

Comments

Popular Posts